COVID -19 FAQ
For Extended Trips booked with SKICAN
Travel for ski trips in 2021 will be different with safety protocols to protect members from contacting coronavirus during a trip. We will be following social distancing, mandatory face masks, hand sanitizing and any other protocol as required by airlines, ground transportation, accommodations, and ski resorts.
We are optimistic we will be travelling to Western Canada to enjoy skiing the mountains at Panorama, Red Mountain and Banff.
We recommend members sign up with pre-arranged roommates for the condos. If roommates not indicated on sign up application, then trip leaders will assign roommates.
As in the past, it is strongly recommended you have travel insurance for all trips. Skican offers Trip Cancellation and Interruption, Medical and Comprehensive Travel Insurance Plan provided by Allianz Global Assistance Canada. Cancel for Any Reason coverage can be added to any of these policies.
Will I be covered should I have to cancel my ski trip prior to departure because of being ill with COVID-19?
Group Insurance with Skican provided by Allianz Global Assistance Canada – Comprehensive Plan includes Emergency Hospital & Medical Coverage & Trip Cancellation & Interruption Coverage. You can elect add-on “Cancel for any Reason” plan (extra cost), if you cancel your trip for any reason other than a covered reason, you may be eligible for reimbursement as outlined on Page 7 in the Travel Insurance Plans, all-inclusive-single-trip
Additionally, under the Allianz plan, you may be eligible for trip cancellation coverage if you become ill due to COVID-19 in Canada before your departure.
Travel insurance does not provide coverage for ‘fear’ of travel because of COVID, but if you add the “cancel for any reason’ benefit to your insurance package, you will be reimbursed:
- 75% of the non-refundable pre-paid insured travel arrangements if you cancel 7 days or more prior to the scheduled departure date; or,
- 75% of the non-refundable pre-paid insured travel arrangements to a maximum of $1,500 if you cancel 6 days to 48 hours prior to the scheduled departure date
Note: Travel insurance through Skican must be purchased and paid at the time of the deposit to Skican. It is the member’s responsibility to read and understand your policy before you travel as your coverage may be subject to certain limitations or exclusions.
For further information on Allianz Global Assistance Canada plan, contact 1-800-465-4279 and provide Skican’s Agency code: 2451
If the Ski Resort, Hotel, and airport are open, and you decide to cancel the trip what costs are refundable?
The cancelation policy as per contracts will apply as follows:
- Travel insurance premiums are non-refundable.
- If cancelled up to 44 days prior to departure, $500 deposit is non-refundable
- If cancelled from 43-33 days prior to departure, $800 per person non-refundable
- If replacement found for your spot between 45 to 5 days before departure there will be a $175 charge for the change.
- Airline and admin fees are non-refundable
- Single supplement will not be refunded
- Credit cards processing fees will not be refunded
- If cancelled from 32 days to departure, total trip cost non-refundable
What are refundable costs if Skican cancels the trip due to government travel restrictions and/or resorts/hotel closed?
Members will be refunded trips cost less the following non-refundable fees:
- Credit card processing fee
- Airfare will be a credit with Skican
- Admin fees for names changes /substitutions with 45 days of departure
- Change fees for airline ticket names changes or flight deviations.
- Insurance Premiums
If you have trip cancellation insurance (booked through Skican with Allianz Global Assistance Canada) and Skican cancels the trip, you can elect to sign a travel waiver with the airline declining the airfare credit, and apply to receive the benefit from travel insurance.
How are the ground transportation (coach buses from airport to Hotel) planning to ensure COVID measures are being met?
Buses will be cleaned and sanitized using industry approved products and electrostatic disinfectant sprayers after each trip. All passengers must wear a mask.
Hand sanitizer provided to be used prior to boarding the bus.
Prior to boarding the bus, individuals will be asked to complete questionnaire (health screening) confirming no COVID symptoms.
If CSSC board decide to cancel extended trip, when will the decision be made?
The Board of Directors may decide to cancel an extended trip if fewer than 25 members have made the commitment to go on the trip. The Board would make this decision prior the first deposit due date to Skican.
Example: Red Mountain prior to Oct 19; Panorama prior to Nov 29; Banff prior to Dec 20
In this situation, the club would refund the $100 deposit, and there would be no loss of deposit or insurance premiums, as cancelation is before due date for these payments.